Travelling around the West Coast of the Southern Alps, New Zealand is an experience in itself.
The state highways and roads are well maintained, but are often winding and offer a wealth of scenic views, so take your time and take it in.
How to get to the West Coast of New Zealand
Distances and times to the West Coast
- Use 100% Pure New Zealand's travel and distance calculator.
- Print the West Coast Distance and Driving Time Calculator (PDF 244KB).
West Coast State Highway and road conditions
For State Highway and Road closure information and road/weather warnings, visit the New Zealand Transport Authority's website for accurate, up to date information on all West Coast roads and to register for On The Move email alerts.
Highways and passes include:
- State Highway 6.
- Lewis Pass.
- Arthur's Pass.
- Haast Pass.
West Coast flights
- Flights operate daily with Air New Zealand between Christchurch and Hokitika.
- Flights operate daily with Sounds Air between Wellington and Westport.
The TranzAlpine train journey
- The TranzAlpine runs return between Christchurch and Greymouth on a daily basis.
West Coast touring routes
There's something for everyone on the West Coast. Have a look at some of our great itineraries for some ideas: