Editing Wikipedia - public workshop (Westport)
Join Dr Mike Dickison, as part of the West Coast Wikipedian at Large project, to learn about editing Wikipedia.
In this workshop, participants will learn:
- How Wikipedia works
- How to improve and create articles
- Tips and tricks for formatting
- Adding photos
- The wider issues of the reliability and bias of Wikipedia.
Complete beginners are welcome; training and troubleshooting is provided.
- 10.00: Meet and greet
Introductions, name lanyards, and account creation if needed
- 10.15: Wikipedia tutorial
We'll learn how Wikipedia works and how to improve, create, and reference articles.
- 11.00: Editing
We'll try out editing an article together, and add information from a reference. You can improve existing articles, try uploading an out-of-copyright photo, or improve information in Wikidata.
- 12.30: Lunch/coffee break. Tea and biscuits provided.
- 14.00: Q&A tutorial
A chance to go over any problems or questions you have as a group.
- 13.30: Editing
- 16.00: Finishing up
- Laptop and power cord
- Lunch and morning and afternoon tea are provided
- Resources – such as books, journals, magazine or newspaper articles relevant to Wikipedia articles you’re interested in.
- Photos you’ve taken or art that could illustrate articles – you’ll learn how to donate these to Wikimedia Commons so other Wikipedia articles can use them.