Restaurants open on Christmas Day
A list of restaurants open Christmas day on the West Coast of New Zealand.
Please note that on Christmas Day (Wednesday 25 December) most shops in New Zealand will be closed.
Almost all shops must be closed under the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990, except those that meet certain conditions or have an area exemption.
Some restaurants, cafes and service stations may still be open.
We recommend visitors to the West Coast shop for essentials the day before (Tuesday 24 December) or the day after (Thursday 26 December) to avoid any inconvenience.
West Coast restaurants open 25 December
Please ensure that you book ahead as they will be very busy on the day:
- Heartland World Heritage Hotel (lunch and dinner).
The Frontier Café and Bar (Christmas buffet $50 per person, current menu will also be available).
Lunch from 11am – 2:30pm.
Dinner from 6pm – 9pm.
- The Landing Bar. (surcharge and a la carte).
- Full O Beans. (surcharge and a la carte).
- King Tiger (4:30pm till late. Serving buffet surcharge may apply).
- Grill n Wok.
- Monsoon Bar - reservations essential (4:30pm – 8:30pm).
- Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Canavans Restaurant & Glasshouse Restaurant
Breakfast 6:30am to 10am.
First dinner session: 5:30pm; second dinner session: 8pm (pre-booking required).
Moa Bar open from 3pm until late. Special Sale of Liquor Restrictions applies.
- The Beachfront Hotel - reservations essential (Christmas buffet- $75 menu).
- 39 on Tancred Cafe (9am to 2pm).
- Priya Indian Restaurant (12pm to 2:30pm, 5pm to 10pm).
Speight's Ale House (11:30am – late) surcharge applies.
- Priya Café & Restaurant (12pm to 2:30pm, 5pm to 10pm).
Maruia Springs Hotel (cafe open between 8:30am - 11am).
- Punakaiki Tavern Accommodation & Bistro (4pm to late).
- The Copper Pot. (5pm to 10pm).
You found a Christmas tree
Well done, you have found one of our hidden Christmas trees!