Restaurants open on Christmas Day
Please note that on Christmas Day (Tuesday 25 December) most shops in New Zealand will be closed.
Almost all shops must be closed under the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990, except those that meet certain conditions or have an area exemption.
Some restaurants, cafes and service stations may still be open.
Tourism West Coast recommends visitors to the West Coast shop for essentials the day before (Monday 24 December) or the day after (Wednesday 26 December) to avoid being inconvenienced.
West Coast restaurants open on 25 December
Please ensure that you book ahead, as they will be very busy on the day:
- The Frontier Café and Bar (Christmas buffet $50 per person, current menu will also be available). Lunch 11am – 2:30pm. Dinner 6pm – 9pm.
- The Waiatoto Restaurant (Christmas buffet $50 per person). Dinner 6pm – 8:30pm.
- The Landing Bar.
- Full O Beans.
- The Copper Pot.
- Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier
Canavans Restaurant & Glasshouse Restaurant (Breakfast 6:30am - 10:00am. Open for lunch by pre arrangement only. Dinner from 5pm - 9:30pm).
Moa Bar (open 3:00pm til late).
- The Beachfront Hotel (Christmas buffet- $75 menu).
- 39 on Tancred Cafe.
- Easteat Restaurant 唐小厨
- Priya Indian Restaurant.
- Maruia Springs Hotel(cafe open between 8:30am - 11:30am)