What to do in and around Westport
While you're in Westport, try some of these activities, all less than a 40 minute drive from town.
South of Westport
25 minutes on State Highway 6.
Historical gold mining area where thousands of people lived in the gold rush era of the late 1800s. Hannah's shoe store started out here.
- Underworld Adventures.
- Johhny's Journey with Outwest Tours.
- Historic gold mine exploring.
- Constant Bay clifftop walk.
- Nile River Lagoon - Swimming.
East of Westport
20 minutes on State Highway 6.
Take a drive through the wild and picturesque valley formed by the Buller gorge to Hawks Crag where the road has been cut through the rock face.
- Trout fishing.
- Scenic river views.
- Buller Gorge Swingbridge.
- Buller Canyon Jet.
Beaches and estuaries
- North Beach and mouth of the Buller River.
- Bird watching.
- Orowaiti Lagoon.
Walking and mountain biking
- Kawatiri River Trail - From the Yacht Club car park, across the bridges and boardwalks over the lagoon and the track out to North Beach and return.
- The Millennium Track - Buller Bridge to the town centre.
- The Domain - Menzies Street, walking only.
Heritage, culture and entertainment
- i-SITE Information Centre.
- Coaltown Museum.
- NBS Theatre for movies.
- "John Deere Museum"
- Mini Golf - Westport Kiwi Holiday Park.
- Oraowaiti Cemetery.
South West of Westport
Five minutes on State Highway 67A
Great surf beach for walking, swimming and Westport's golf course and airport.
- Swimming and surfing.
- Surf cast fishing.
- 18-hole golf course.
- Children's playground and domain.
15 minutes on State Highway 67A
Stunning coastal views from the lighthouse car park or take a walk down the track to the beach.
- Clifftop walk from the lighthouse to Tauranga Bay (1.5 hours one way).
- Stunning coastal views.
- Community domain.
- Access to the beach by track.
- Country pub and restaurant.
Tauranga Bay and Okari Beach
Beautiful ocean beaches and wildlife.
- Seal colony and sea bird sanctuary.
- Okari Lagoon - Bird watching.
- Restaurant with stunning sea views.
North of Westport
Gentle Annie, Mokihinui, Seddonville
40 minutes on State Highway 67
Gentle Annie and Mokihinui are situated either side of the Mokihinui River mouth. Peaceful and charming beachside settlements.
- Walking and mountain biking tracks.
- Fishing in the sea for Kahawai or snapper.
- Fishing in the river for trout or whitebait.
- Glow worms at Chasm Creek (night only).
A beautiful hidden valley, gateway to the northern end of Charming Creek Walkway and the amazing Old Ghost Road track.
- Walking and mountain biking.
- Country style pub.
- Old Ghost Road.
- Charming Creek Walkway (northern end).
Hector, Ngakawau, Millerton, Granity
30 minutes on State Highway 67.
These historic coal mining housing settlements nestled between the mountains and the sea are a charming rustic slice of the West Coast.
Fossick for gemstones or fish from the unpopulated beaches.
- Spot a Hector's Dolphin from the beach.
- Hector Country Music Museum.
- Local arts and crafts galleries in Ngakawau and Granity.
- Charming Creek Walkway (southern end).
- Country style pub in Ngakawau and Granity.
- Historic mine bathhouse in Millerton.
- Granity Museum.
- Beachfront restaurant in Granity.
North east of Westport
40 minutes on State Highway 67
The panoramic coastal view from this plateau is not to be missed.
The story of the early miners' lives on this wild plateau are an unique part of New Zealand history.
Turn off at Waimangaroa (15 minutes).
- Historic coal mine site.
- Famous Denniston Incline.
- Denniston Museum.
- Panoramic coastal views.
- Moutain biking.
- Denniston Excursion with OutWest Tours.