A Celebration of Tourism
- Meet and network with fellow tourism operators.
- Learn how to improve your business.
- Be inspired by our keynote speaker.
- Celebrate the tourism industry on the West Coast.
Register by Friday 2 August at the latest.
Venue: West Coast Events Centre, Shantytown Heritage Park.
Date: Wednesday 7 August 2019.
Time: 10am - 5pm (please arrive from 9:30am).
Address: 316 Rutherglen Road, Greymouth, 7805.
Cost: $20 (can be paid on the day during on site registration. This will cover workshops, lunch, beverages).
- 10am: Official welcome.
- 12pm-1pm: Lunch.
- 1pm - 2pm: Keynote Speaker Christopher Luxon (CEO Air New Zealand).
- 3pm - 3:30pm: Tea.
- 10:15am: Chris Robers (TIA)
- 10:45am: Scott Callaway (Christchurch International Airport)
Lightning Lab tourism data.
- 11:15am: John Gergory (Terra Nova Tours)
Working with inbound tour operators.
- 11:45am: Di Humphries (Make Collective) and Jim Little (Tourism West Coast)
Brand and marketing strategy 2019.
- 2pm: Justin Watson (Christchurch International Airport)
Growth markets and the Coast.
- 2:30pm: Martin Horgan (Southern World Vacations)
Working with inbound tour operators and the commission system.
- 3:30pm: Stephen Griffith (Tourism New Zealand)
The Tourism New Zealand Famil Programme.
- 4:00pm: Cindy Hopper (West Coast Scenic Waterways)
Working with trade, tips from West Coast Scenic Waterways.
- 4:30pm: Kevin Stratful (Development West Coast)
Untamed Natural Wilderness: The expectation versus the reality.
- 5pm - 9pm: After party and networking event at Monteith's Brewing Co.
60 Herbert Street, Greymouth.
Celebration of Tourism deals
Kindly supported by the following businesses.
Shantytown Heritage Park
- 1 x free hot drink from the cafe on the day of Celebration of Tourism.
- 1 x free gold panning
- These will both require a voucher to redeem, to be collected upon event payment at the ticketing office.
- Free to explore Shantytown and ride the train on the day of Celebration of Tourism.
Monteith's Brewing Co.
- After party and networking event at Montieth's Brewing Co. from 5pm, following Celebration of Tourism.
- Find out more about Montieth's Brewing Co.
West Coast Wildlife Centre
- Free entry on all indoor attraction entry passes.
- 50% off Kiwi and Tuatara Backstage Pass Tours.
- Mention "Celebration of Tourism" when booking or at reception to receive the deals.
- Located in Franz Josef, the West Coast Wildlife Centre are the largest kiwi hatching programme in the South Island and hatch the world 2 rarest of the 5 species of kiwi - The rowi and Haast tokoeka.
Fox Glacier Top 10 Holiday Park
- Receive 50% off any accommodation type for the month of August at Fox Glacier Top 10 Holiday Park
- This offer is available to all delegates and their families who attend Celebration of Tourism.
- Mention "Celebration of Tourism" when booking or at reception to receive the deal.
Keynote Speaker - Chief Executive Officer Air New Zealand
Christopher Luxon has been Chief Executive Officer since 2013 and under his leadership the airline has delivered record profits, all time high customer satisfaction scores and achieved its highest levels of staff engagement. Alongside this Air New Zealand has won numerous accolades, including several celebrating it as the best airline in the world and others recognising its commitment to key areas such as sustainability, innovation, corporate reputation, employee engagement and customer experience.
Air New Zealand operates a global network that provides air passenger services and cargo transport services to, from, and within New Zealand to more than 17 million passengers a year. Its strategic focus and competitive advantage are within the Pacific Rim. The company's network expands from New Zealand to Australia, the Pacific Islands, Asia, North America, South America, and the United Kingdom.
Prior to joining Air New Zealand, Christopher was President and Chief Executive Officer at Unilever Canada. This was one of several senior leadership roles he held during an 18-year career at the multi-national that saw him work in roles in Europe, North America and Asia/Pacific. Christopher has a Master of Commerce in Business Administration from the University of Canterbury.
Mr Luxon also serves as Chairman of New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s Business Advisory Council.
West Coast Scenic Waterways
We are a locally owned and operated Eco Tourism business providing our guests with the opportunity to "Cruise, Stay & Play" with us, only 4kms south of Hokitika. Our business is growing predominantly by working with trade partners and continually making ourselves more trade ready, as well as working with our Regional Tourism Organisation.
Terra Nova Tours
John is a co-owner of Terra Nova Coach Tours – New Zealand’s leading operator of German speaking coach tours. He has dedicated more than 25 years to the New Zealand Tourism industry and serves on the Tourism Export Council Board.
Di brings over 26 years in Executive Management experience. Most recent position held for 13 years as CEO for Glassons Ltd and Executive Director for publicly listed company Hallensteins Glassons Ltd.
Di specialises in marketing strategy, business strategy, transformational leadership, business managment, design, buying and retail.
Regional Tourism Manager - West Coast
Jim has experience in tourism marketing as well as brand management with Unilever, followed by 13 years working for advertising agencies on accounts like BMW, Fletcher Homes, Farmers retail and Converse Sports. Jim set up Destination Lake Taupo, resurrected Tourism Bay of Plenty and rebuilt Tourism West Coast.
Christchurch International Airport
Justin Watson is the Chief Aeronautical and Commercial Officer for Christchurch International Airport, responsible for leading aeronautical development, marketing and commercial.
He has an extensive career in international marketing and leadership roles spanning more than 20 years.
Prior to joining the airport company, Justin was the Director of Trade, PR & Major Events at Tourism New Zealand, leading the organisation's offshore based trade teams, business events and premium sectors, trade marketing and aviation development, along with international PR and major events. Before that, he held a number of significant marketing leadership roles, including Director of Marketing at McDonald's New Zealand and Marketing Manager at Coca-Cola Oceania.
Justin has a broad experience base, including significant international marketing and partnership experience, having worked intimately with all of New Zealand's key international trading partners, along with industry experience across FMCG, retail, tourism and government.
Southern World Vacations
Martin has more than 30 years’ experience in inbound tourism and has been a Director of the Southern World Group of companies since 2001. Martin held the role Chairman of the Tourism Export Council of New Zealand for 7 years and represented the industry of the Tourism Industry Aotearoa executive.
Christchurch International Airport
Scott Callaway is currently employed by Christchurch International Airport as General Manager Trade Development. Leading the airports relationship with the travel trade and airlines to meet the aspiration of “filling planes”.
Scott joined Christchurch Airport after eight years as Marketing Manager of the multi award winning Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa, and the Hurunui Districts’ tourism organisation.
He is a proven tourism marketing executive with an extensive range of national and international experience, having worked previously with the AJ Hackett Bungy Group, Air New Zealand and for international advertising agencies Carat Inc., and The Event Group, both in New Zealand and the United States. Scott began his career in tourism in Christchurch with the Mount Cook Group in 1985.
Tourism New Zealand
Stephen has worked at TNZ for 30 years. Since 2007 he has been in the Trade team planning Famils of all types from all markets. He's been privileged to experience a range of West Coast product while hosting famils. His favourite visitor enquiry involving the Coast was for directions to the road tunnel from Aoraki/Mt Cook to the Glaciers, so both could be included in a day trip by car.
Development West Coast
Past key roles include MD Lion Nathan (NZ), MD Freightways, COO Telecom (now Spark).
Brands I have managed include Tip top ice-cream, Movenpick,Coca-Cola, Telecom, Speights, Stienlager and Jack Daniels.