Discover fascinating stories of real New Zealanders and experience a recreated gold-rush village.
West Coast isolation, extreme weather and rugged terrain produced stories of fortitude and ingenuity.
Shantytown tells these pioneering stories through a fascinating mix of experience and displays.
- Ride the steam train through native rainforest.
- Experience the sights and sounds of a working sawmill.
- Watch the sluice gun blast gold bearing rock and soil from the earth.
- Follow the races to the gold claim and pan for your own gold.
- The village, with 30 shops and buildings to explore shows life the way it used to be.
- Catch the show in our new holographic theater.
- For a memento of Shantytown nothing is better than an old time photo.
$16.50 - $33.50
8:30AM - 5:00PM 7 days, 364 days a year (closed Christmas day)