History & heritage
Observe and participate in some great New Zealand stories and explore the heart of the nation at Shantytown. Engaging, interactive activities in a heritage setting.
$17.50 - $34.50
8:30AM - 5:00PM 7 days, 364 days a year (closed Christmas day)
Discover fascinating stories of real New Zealanders and experience a recreated gold-rush village.
West Coast isolation, extreme weather and rugged terrain produced stories of fortitude and ingenuity.
Shantytown tells these pioneering stories through a fascinating mix of experience and displays.
- Ride the steam train through native rainforest.
- Experience the sights and sounds of a working sawmill.
- Watch the sluice gun blast gold bearing rock and soil from the earth.
- Follow the races to the gold claim and pan for your own gold.
- The village, with 30 shops and buildings to explore shows life the way it used to be.
- Catch the show in our new holographic theater.
- For a memento of Shantytown nothing is better than an old time photo.
Big Coast - Big Deals
Check out these amazing specials and packages for your plans to travel through the West Coast.
Shantytown is conveniently located just 10km south of Greymouth and 35km north of Hokitika, on the West Coast of the South Island, New Zealand.