Glacier Valley Eco Tours
Glacier Valley Eco Tours is a NZ owned and operated family business, committed to giving our clients the best experience on our guided Nature Walks in and around Glacier Country NZ.
$80 - $180 adults. $40 - $90 children. Family Rate (2 adults + 2 children) of $225 for all our 3 hour tours.
8am - 9pm
We specialise in small group informative tours that are personalised to suit our client needs, and therefore we are able to take all age groups, from babies to the elderly, backpackers to couples.
Walk around the iconic reflections at Lake Matheson at sunset with your guide pointing out wild mushrooms or native orchids that you would usually miss by yourself.
Visit the historic old gold mining community of Okarito - a hidden seaside village rich in birds, lagoon, beach, rainforest, peguins, seals, DOC Kiwi Sanctuary, and one of the biggest natural wetlands in New Zealand.
- Half day (3 hr) tours to Okarito and Lake Matheson.
- Full day (8hr) tours to Okarito
- Franz Josef & Fox Glacier Eco Tour 3hr please allow 4hrs
- Full day tour to Franz Josef Glacier' (via Roberts Point track)
- Combo tours available - any 2 or 3 tours in one day
Franz Josef Eco Tour:
- This Franz Josef Glacier Eco Tour starts with a short drive in our courtesy vehicle to the glacier car park
- Enjoy walking through regenerating forest for your first glimpse of the magnificent Franz Josef Glacier
- Your experienced guide will take you off the beaten track as much as they can safely, to discover hidden waterfalls and 'dead' ice, and lots of other treasures
- Your guide will keep you captivated with an amazing interpretation of glaciation, geology and the natural history of this incredibly dynamic environment
- Easy to moderate walk
- Great photo opportunities are everywhere
- Suitable level for beginners and all ages and abilities - a great family-friendly activity the kids will love
For a shorter bird tour for the dawn chorus in the Franz Josef Glacier valley, please see our Early Bird Tour on the Full Day, Combo & other tours page at the bottom.
Fox Glacier Eco Tour:
- From your accommodation we drive to the Fox Glacier South side car park (30 mins from Franz Josef, 10 mins from Fox township)
- The track runs through lush historic glaciated rainforest in Westland Tai Poutini National Park, with focal points of huge rata, rimu trees and moss
- Views of Fox Glacier, Fox neve, Mt Tasman, one of NZ's highest mountains
- Information on glaciation, geothermology (inc geothermal spring to dip your hand in) geology, flora and fauna
- Suitable level for beginners and all ages and abilities - a great family-friendly experience
- Please note this tour does not get close or to view the terminal face of the glacier due to safety reasons
- This is mainly a nature tour - if you want to get close to the glacier terminal face, check out our Franz Josef Eco TourOur guides provide interpretation on local flora/fauna, glaciology, geology, history of the area
We provide wet weather gear (raincoats, over trousers and umbrellas) as well as walking poles, and provide tea/coffee/hot chocolate and biscuit on all our tours.