Paparoa Track and Pike29 Memorial Track
The new 55 km Great Walk will be amazing journey by foot or mountain bike through diverse awe-inspiring environments.
The Paparoa Track will cross the Paparoa Ranges between Blackball and Punakaiki.
The Pike29 Memorial Track will connect the Paparoa Track with the Pike River Mine site (this track will open separately to the Paparoa Track at a later date).
Construction of the new Great Walk began in 2017. The Track will open on December 1 2019.
Most people will take 3 days to walk or bike the track, though fit walkers and bikers will be able to challenge themselves for a 2 day journey.
The track will be open all year for both mountain biking and walking.
Wildlife on the Paparoa Track
The track will traverse areas inhabited by remnant populations of threatened species including:
- Roroa/great spotted kiwi.
- Kea, kākā.
- Whio/blue duck.
- Koekoeā/long-tailed cuckoo.
The park is also home to the Paparoa Range alpine snail (Powelliphanta gagei).
- Pike29 Track brochure and map (PDF, 959K) (opens in new window)
- Paparoa Track and Pike29 Memorial Track map (PDF, 888K) (opens in new window)
- Planned Moonlight Tops Hut (PDF, 730K) (opens in new window)
- Planned Pororari Hut (PDF, 760K) (opens in new window)
Photo Credit to Nimmo Gallery