Book in to support and volunteer at our Punakaiki Coastal Restoration Project with Conservation Volunteers New Zealand and Wild Heart Project. With your help, we are transforming a former farm and mining site into a native rainforest!
The Punakaiki Coastal Restoration Project is run by Conservation Volunteers New Zealand which is a charitable trust.
The project focuses on restoring the Sand Plain Forest which used to span the Barrytown flats, so that there is a mountain to sea forest corridor.
This is particularly important as this area is the only nesting place for the Taiko (Westland Petrel) and amongst a small number of mainland breeding colonies for NZ petrel.
We need your help and everyone is welcome - international travelers and tourists, Kiwis from around New Zealand and West Coasters.
Join us on a planting day, or a Summer Volunteering Getaway (www.wildheartproject.kiwi). There’s a range of possible activities you can take part in on our site, including:
- Site induction covering the history of the site and restoration project, as well as the Taiko breeding colony and its national importance
• Touring our site, the Barrytown beach and the adjacent Nikau Scenic Reserve which is a great example of unmodified Sand Plain Forest
• Planting of native trees around our site
• Seed collection and processing
• Potting up seedlings
• Helping out in our nursery where we raise all the trees we plant.
Location3916 State Highway 6, Punakaiki 7873, New Zealand
Paparoa National Park Department of Conservation Visitor Centre
Call in and see what Punakaiki and the Paparoa National Park has to offer.Learn more
Paparoa Track Heli bike lifts - Coastwide Helicopters
Get your Paparoa Track bike adventure of to a flying start with a heli bike lift with GCH Coastwide, West Coast of the South Island. Experience the beautiful remote West Coast scenery at your leisurely pace on your bike.Learn more