$100 off West Coast packages: Holiday Booster
The Paparoa Track is New Zealand’s 10th Great Walk. It travels through the spectacular limestone landscapes and luxuriant forests of Paparoa National Park, custom-built for both mountain biking and hiking.
The Paparoa Track crosses the Paparoa Ranges between Blackball and Punakaiki. It takes you through alpine tops, limestone karst landscapes and thriving rainforests, and provides breath-taking views.
- 56.2km (32.5 mile)
- Walking and tramping: 3 days one way
- Intermediate: Great Walk/Easier tramping track
- Mountain biking: 2 days one way
- Advanced: Grade 4
- No dogs
- The Pike29 Memorial Track will connect the Paparoa Track with the Pike River Mine site (this track will open at a later date).
- The track is open all year for both mountain biking and walking.
The track traverses areas inhabited by remnant populations of threatened species including:
- Roroa/great spotted kiwi.
- Kea, kākā.
- Whio/blue duck.
- Koekoeā/long-tailed cuckoo
- Paparoa Range alpine snail (Powelliphanta gagei).
Paparoa Guided Walks
For an all inclusive 3 night, 4 day guided hiking adventure tour along the Paparoa Track, New Zealand's newest Great Walk, see Paparoa Guided Walks
Cycle the Paparoa Track, virtually via this superb 3:49min video, from The Kona Bicycle Co.
The video features two Kiwi riders Khulan Tumen and Viet Tieu, coming together to ride the Paparoa Track. Its point-to-point route is what bike-packing dreams are made of: the perfect gradients, insane views, epically-located backcountry huts, and some of the most beautiful bush New Zealand has to offer. The Paparoa Track seemed like the perfect fit for the Kona Unit X.
While it can be ridden in a day, the route is dotted with three backcountry Department of Conservation (DOC) huts to encourage people to take in an overnight or multi-day experience. Track users need to carry all their own food, sleeping bags and clothing—especially wet weather gear.
Courtesy of The Kona Bicycle Co.