The old gold miners, timber millers and horse packers of the West Coast knew how to build a track and make it last. Nowadays, many of these historic tracks can still be ridden, but with a more sophisticated ride - a mountain bike.
Track surfaces range from smooth wide gravel to benched single track to muddy and rocky 4WD roads. There is terrain suitable for all abilities so get out there amongst it and enjoy the hard work of those pioneers.
Mountain Biking trails near Reefton
- 19km northeast of Reefton.
- 14km one way | 4-6 hours | Grade 5 (expert).
- A bit of a slog uphill but great downhill and some technical sections.
- Waitahu Valley, Reefton.
- 27km | 3-6 hours | Grade 3+ (moderate/advanced).
- Ride through stunning beech forest and mining remains.
Big River Road and Hut
- 50km return | 4-8 hours | Grade 4 (advanced).
- A challenging ride on a rough historic mining road through native bush.